Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Rosarito, Puerto Nuevo and back


A first - crossing the Mexico border by car. Port of transit: the (in)famous Tijuana. We decide that it made sense to rent a car instead of taking a chance in driving our luxury cars with shinny new CA plates to the Mexican desperado heaven. The cheaper and smaller - the better. It turns out that Alamo ran out of compacts and we got automatically upgraded to the flashiest red Mustang you can think off. To top it off, they do not offer insurance for Mexico. I consider briefly begging them to either not upgrade me or give me my money back but picturing the face the Alamo clerk will give me I choose to keep my Miranda. So, there we are, driving what I see as a trouble bait in Gods forsaken Tijuana. It turns out that Tijuana is a perfectly decent place - at least in what concerns undue attention to a flashy red Mustang. Or maybe the fact that I eventually got Mexican insurance from an on line site just makes me feel better about the whole thing (even though, in reality, I wonder if the site that charged my card offers any real products other than efficiently charging credit cards). Oh, well... all is well that ends well.

Rosarito - where we have initially planed to stop - is literally screaming with drunken teenagers in spring break so we pass. The fact that a decent motel charges $98 (yes, American dollars!) a night, really makes it into a no brainer.
We settle for Castillos del Mar- a charming little motel overlooking the beach, with a strong hacienda like flavor, and a a semi-private beach just south of Rosarito. About 15 minutes away from the well reputed, for good reasons, Puerto Nuevo lobster places. Good lobster sprinkled with fresh margaritas and Negro Modelo ($40 for dinner for two), strolling mariachis (you name the price), the ongoing picturesque local crafts live exhibition ($10 in gift shopping) with a night in a Mulholland drive like hotel right on the beach ($78 a night) and the Mexican spirit infusing it all (for free).

All this, and more, less than 4 hours away from the spiffy and way too self conscious OC. My take on it: take one now. And, don't worry about Mexican insurance: if you are like me (i.e. relatively aware of living in a relatively unsafe world) you will find Mexico is not only safe but warm and welcoming at the same time.



© Copyright Adrian Preda, M.D. 

No comments:

Subscribe Now